Removing SiteMeter
I'm finally getting around to removing the scourge that has been SiteMeter from this blog, as well as all of the other websites I currently administer.
To be fair, their service was great back when I first started using them in 2002 — unparalleled, almost — and it was even solid through 2008 and 2009. (Why else would I have used them?) But since about 2012, and increasingly more so since, their tracking scripts have been getting fairly routinely hijacked, which has often in turn hijacked the websites of those running it by redirecting visitors' browsers to who knows what.
At times, this has merely been a minor nuisance. And grad school has kept me busy for a while. However, over the last couple of days, this has become quite noticeable on a couple of my sites, and since I have a short lull in responsibilities right now, I'm nipping this in the bud. It's about time.
I added Google Analytics tracking to most of my websites in December 2013, anyway, so it's not like it's been much work.
